A food dehydrator, is just as its name suggests, it is a device that dehydrates or removes moisture from food. You can dehydrate fruits, vegetables and meats and you will find recipes online to create your own special treats. Below in our guide to food dehydrators we’ll explain some of the advantages of these devices.
Food dehydrators are used for the following purposes and have the following advantages:
- By removing the moisture, you are preserving food and saving it from going bad which is always helpful if you have overbought.
- It is a great, novel way to create healthy snacks, kids love it too and it can encourage healthy eating.
- It allows you to use up your leftover food scraps.
- You lose nothing in the nutritional value of the food so it can be a great way to add nutrients to your diet.
- You can dehydrate a number of foods and offer choice. With practice, you can become very creative with your offerings.
- Store bought dehydrated foods can contain additives and by creating your own, it means that you are not ingesting unnecessary additives, you are in control of all of the ingredients.
- Dehydrated foods have a long shelf life and so you can buy foods when they are on sale, dehydrate them and store them for later use.
So, if you are planning to purchase a food dehydrator, what should you be looking for? Not all food dehydrators are the same.
Some dehydrators come with a fixed amount of trays and some offer you the scope to extend the amount of trays, so decide whether you are planning to dehydrate a lot of food or whether just a little.
Make sure you have the counter space to accommodate your dehydrator, there is nothing worse than buying an oversized one that just will not fit into your kitchen space.
Shape and Design
It may be that you want to tie your dehydrator into your existing kitchen design and use it as a bit of a feature. If you have plenty of space a round or oval shape may be appropriate but a square or rectangular shape will fit more neatly into a corner, making a better use of space.
Decide on the features that you are looking for, do you need it to have a temperature control for example or is a fixed temperature fine, don’t pay for features that you won’t use.
Unless you are happy to wash your dehydrator, it may be an idea to check for one that allows you to make use of the dishwasher.
Cost will come into the equation and it will be a balance between the size of dehydrator that you need, the features that it will have and the design. Dehydrators come with a range of price tags to suit all budgets.
As with any purchase, make sure that you shop around. Decide on the features you need and set your budget. Always buy from a reputable supplier and check the warranty terms of the product.