Gone are the days when Aadhaar was just used as an additional proof of identity along with the voter ID and other credentials. However, now the government has mandated the use of Aadhaar card for opening a bank account, applying for PAN card, in passport/visa application, for availing LPG and other subsidies, pensions, provident fund, etc. In line with this amendment, most banks have even urged their customer to link their Aadhaar card with their account to keep availing the uninterrupted banking services.
If you do not have an Aadhaar card, you might not be able to get all the privileges that you are entitled to. This is why it is essential to apply for Aadhaar card. You can apply for the same by following these easy steps.
- The very first step towards getting your Aadhaar is to make sure that you have all essential documents in place.
- Once you have all the documents with you, find out the nearest Aadhaar enrollment centre to book an appointment online.
- You can also visit the centre directly without a prior appointment but booking an appointment in advance will save you a lot of time and effort.
- On the day of the appointment, try to visit the center on time so that you can do things in a planned manner. Don’t forget to carry all the essential documents that will mainly include your identity proof and address proof.
- Once you reach the centre, start with filling the Aadhaar enrollment form. Aadhaar enrollment form is also available on the website so you can fill the form online and carry a copy of it to the centre to save time.
- After filling the form at the center, enclose with it the supporting documents. Once the form is submitted and the supporting documents are verified by the representative present at the center, you have to submit your biometric data too. This will include your fingerprint impression and iris scan.
- They will also click a photo of you for their records.
- Once all the details are collected at the center, you will be provided with the acknowledgment slip consisting of 14-digit enrollment number that will help you keep a track on the status of your application.
You can check your Aadhaar card application status by visiting the UIDAI website by entering the enrolment number, your registered mobile number and date & time of the registration. Typically it may take 3 months for your Aadhaar card to reach you. In case you want to furnish your Aadhaar card anywhere as an essential document, you can download a copy of your Aadhaar called e-Aadhaar by following the below-mentioned steps:-
- Visit the UIDAI website and go to ‘e-Aadhaar’ section.
- The screen will open a window showing a form wherein you’ll have to fill in your 15 digit enrollment number present on the acknowledgment slip.
- In the form you will also have to input the date and time of your registration (as mentioned in the acknowledgment slip), your name, registered mobile number, your area’s pin code, and the registered mobile number.
- Once all the details are entered in the form, OTP is generated and sent to your registered mobile number.
- Upon entering the OTP, you can download a colored version of the Aadhar letter which is just as valid as the Aadhar card itself.
Aadhaar Card is a 12 – digit random number issued by the UIDAI on behalf of the government of India. It is the first document that is issued to every citizen of India on the basis of their biometric and demographic data.