Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a functional disorder of gastrointestinal system that resulted by irritability and irregularity of intestinal movement. This syndrome can also be known as spastic colon or mucous colitis. There are a number of manifestation, namely: a headache, fatigue, abdominal pain or cramping, bloating, diarrhea or constipation, mucus in stool and depression. It’s usually found in women in their age of 20. The exact reasons causing irritable bowel syndrome is still unclear but there are a number of factors that are believed to contribute to the syndrome which includes frustration, anger, and nervousness. Excessive coffee, cruciferous vegetable, raw fruits and dairy products can worsen the problem. IBS has no cure but there are certain natural ways help you to live with it with minimal discomfort.
If you experience diarrhea then yogurt is for you. It has a wide range of “live cultures” which are friendly bacteria providing protection layer to your intestines as well as generating lactic acid in order to remove the toxins of the bad bacteria from your body.
- You can eat yogurt either directly or by making a smoothie. Consume it for a few time during the day until your condition is improved
- Make a mixture of ½ tsp of Isabgol or psyllium husks ( you can purchase it at any drug stores) and 1 cup of yogurt. Eat the mixture one hour after lunch and dinner everyday until seeing the improvement.
2] Cabbage Juice
Cabbage juice contains sulfur and chlorine which work effectively in cleansing the mucus membranes in the stomach as well as the intestines. Besides, fiber in the juice makes it a good laxative when you have a constipation. Consume it as a juice help your body to be hydrated.
- Cut a fresh cabbage into small pieces after washing thoroughly
- Use a blender or a juicer to make cabbage juice
- Consume ½ glass of the juice for 3 to 4 times everyday
- Remember to drink this cabbage juice as soon as you start experiencing constipation for the best result.
If you experience bloating or flatulence then stop using this juice and try other home remedies instead.
works by reducing gas and bloating sensation, reducing inflammatory syndromes and relaxing the intestinal muscle.
- Make a drink from ½ tsp of fresh grated ginger, some honey and a cup of hot water. You can strain out the ginger after at least 10 minutes to extract all substances needed. Drink this 2 to 3 times during a day to relieve pain and cramps in your abdomen.
- Eat directly the mixture of fresh grated ginger and honey before lunch and dinner to improve your diarrhea as well as your digestive process.
Those who have high blood pressure should stay away from ginger and opt for other remedies for IBS.
Chamomile contains not only a high level of tannins but antispasmodic property which ease IBS symptoms perfectly, especially diarrhea and spasms.
- Add 2 to 3 tsp of dried chamomile flowers to a cup of hot water
- Let it soak for at least 15 minutes before straining out the water
- You can add some lemon juice if you want.
- Drink this tea for 2-3 times everyday.
Banana is an excellent nutritious source that helps you with your IBS symptoms. Potassium presented in bananas provide a great comfort by relieving the gas and bloating. Moreover, bananas are loaded with soluble fiber which is useful in absorbing liquid in your intestinal tract as well as forms the stool so that it can deal with both diarrhea and constipation.
- Consume 1 to 2 ripe bananas everyday to boost up your digestive system health and prevent IBS occurrence.
- In a case of diarrhea, mash a ripe banana. Then mix the mashed banana with 1 tsp of tamarind pulp and a pinch of salt. Eat the mixture 2 times a day until you no longer have diarrhea.
A high level of pectin contained in carrots help to prevent any symptoms of IBS, especially diarrhea and constipation.
- Extract the juice from some fresh carrots then adds a little lemon juice as well as honey for tastier. Drink carrot juice in a number of times during a day until you notice the improvement.
- Make a puree from soft, cooked carrots and water with a blender. Add some salt and eat ½ cup of this puree several times daily.
Raw carrots consumption can cause you a stomach pain so try something else if you experience pain after eating them.Above is some of the most common effective remedies that you can try at your home if you’re struggling with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. But remember to follow a healthy diet as well as the lifestyle to control your syndromes. Moreover, it’s best to consult with your physician if you have any other health problems.