Colon cleansing is the process of removing accumulated waste and toxins from your large intestines. Regularly cleansing your colon helps prevent medical conditions such as constipation and diarrhea. Colon cleansing may also lower the risk of developing cancer. Other health benefits include better digestion, increased energy, and weight loss.
Taking intestinal cleanse pills could be beneficial for anyone who is looking for simpler ways to start cleansing or are already experiencing some discomfort due to constipation or diarrhea. But some people also take it as a precaution to avoid any symptoms from arising.
What is the colon?
Your colon is a significant component of your digestive system. The colon’s primary function is to absorb the remaining water, vitamins, electrolytes, and minerals, from the undigested food. The colon also serves as the storage of the stool before it is expelled from the body.
Your colon contains microflora or good bacteria that help breakdown and absorb the micronutrients. The good bacteria also helps in removing toxins, harmful microorganisms, and cancer-causing contaminants within your colon.
Why is it essential to cleanse the colon?
The digestive tract should contain a mixture of friendly and harmful bacteria at ideally 85:15 ratios. However, there may be situations or conditions when the population of beneficial microflora is affected. The intake of processed foods, too much sugar, medications, smoking, and alcohol may destroy friendly bacteria. If this happens, the population of harmful bacteria will prosper, which may lead to poor digestive health.
Harmful bacteria decrease the number of digestive enzymes that aid in digesting your food safely. If this happens, you will have more undigested food being stored in your colon. Undigested food may produce harmful toxins, especially if they are not evacuated immediately. If food remains undigested within your colon, your stool may get impacted and may further block the passageway of waste products. Blocked stool within your colon may result in the following symptoms:
- Headaches. The colon will start to reabsorb the toxins produced by stagnant stool. It is the reason why headaches caused by toxins are frequent in patients suffering from constipation.
- Gaining Unwanted Weight. Weight gain is related to poor digestive health. Studies have demonstrated that intestinal microflora is actively responsible for proper weight management. When your body prolongs the elimination of fecal matter, harmful bacteria found in unabsorbed waste will over replicate, and their numbers may overwhelm the healthy bacteria needed for digestion. So, remember, if you are getting overweight for no justifiable reason at all, you might need a colon cleanse to regulate the number of healthy bacteria in your intestines and, in the long run, improve digestive health.
Cleansing Your Colon
If left uncleaned, a dirty colon will further increase the population of harmful bacteria, causing more and more toxins to be produced by undigested waste. It is therefore recommended to eliminate all the waste and toxins that have been accumulated through colon cleansing. You can cleanse your colon naturally by doing the following lifestyle changes:
- Drinking more water.Water is a universal solvent that can dissolve a lot of unwanted contaminants found in undigested food. Drinking lots of water will dilute the number of toxins within your digestive tract and eliminate them.
- Being more active. Exercising will also increase the activities of your detoxification system to eliminate toxins and other harmful microorganisms.
- Reduce the intake of alcohol and processed foods. Junk food contains synthetic ingredients that may be hard to digest. These chemicals may accumulate in your colon and destroy friendly microflora.
- Taking supplements. You can take Intestinal cleanse pills and supplements that are formulated to promote the growth of friendly bacteria within your colon.
Maintaining the cleanliness of your colon is good practice to ensure your overall health and wellness.