Most of us are awe-struck by the mechanism of several machines working in tandem to make our daily lives easier. If you look around yourself, you will find plenty of machines like coffee makers, calculators, phones, fans, ACs and electric switches. But have you ever thought about the people who help in manufacturing them?
In addition to physics and mathematics, mechanical engineering also lays emphasis on aerospace, electrical, civil, chemical, materials science and bio-engineering. Hence, mechanical engineers possess the ability to define and direct change in a world where responsibilities are fluid and often interchange.
A dynamic career option with a lot of exciting challenges and lots of opportunities to soar high, mechanical engineer is a perfect option for you. The easiest way to kick-start a career in the field is to obtain a B Tech mechanical engineering degree. If you are unsure about the future scope of the course, this blog can help allay your fears. Read on to find out more on what is mechanical engineering, benefits of pursuing a mechanical engineering and the career opportunities after pursuing mechanical engineering.
What is mechanical engineering?
Experts define mechanical engineering as the science of production and operation of all types of machines, from a small nut bolt to a huge crane. It helps you understand how machines are built and operated to complete tasks.Mechanical Engineering is perhaps the most diverse and versatile of all the engineering disciplines.Mechanical engineering touches every aspect of modern life, from mobile phones and biomedical devices to aircraft and power plants.
Why should you consider a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering?
Here are the primary benefits of pursuing mechanical engineering:
- Mechanical engineers are required to have an extensive knowledge of various engineering specialisations as well as their social and economic impacts. One develops a broad range of skills that can help you switch to other domains later in your career.
- Mechanical engineers are highly valued in most industries because of their deep knowledge. Hence, this profession can fetch you well-paying jobs.
- Mechanical engineering is at the forefront of developing new technologies for the transport, healthcare, construction, and robotics industry. This means that you can have a front seat ticket to exciting new innovations in various domains.
Job opportunities after a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering
Here are a few interesting job roles from this domain that ought to interest you. These jobs would allow you to use your degree knowledge to practical use.
- Aerospace engineers
- Automotive engineers
- Mechanical technicians
- Control and instrumentation engineers
- Maintenance engineers
- Nuclear engineers
- Power plant engineers
- Contracting civil engineers
- In-line manufacturing engineers
- Assembly engineers
Since mechanical engineering degrees provide you with an expanded skill set, you can also apply for jobs in domains associated with the subject. Here are a few interesting roles that are related to a degree in mechanical engineering.
- Land development engineers
- Production managers
- Sales engineers
- Sound-mixing engineers
- Naval consultants
Engineers are often credited with building the pillars of infrastructure that support the modern-day society. Mechanical engineers facilitate the production of various components of this infrastructure. Increasing automation and implementation of robotics might replace manual labour, but will not take away the need for human insights. If you want to make a difference in the engineering world, consider pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering.